This guest post comes from Shana who shares her thoughts, ideas and great recipes at her site – Shana Was Here. She says of herself, “Hey there! My name is Shana. I love to occupy my time with lots of fun events and activities. My life is full of all sorts of adventures! I invite you to take this journey with me“. She is a member of various societies and worked with plenty of different brands. A food blogger with passion and experience! This recipe is perfect for Spring with great flavours and vibrant colour…
So spring is really taking its sweet time coming. Here in Atlanta, the weather keeps changing. One day is warm, next day it’s cold, next day it’s a winter advisory, next day it’s 75 degrees, next day it’s raining cats and dogs. Ahhhh!!! Pick a season!! So what do you do when your yearning for Spring? Well you eat something that reminds you of spring. For me, spring is light vibrant flavors that remind you of new life emerging through the bitter cold. Too much?? Maybe. Not so much cold here in the south, but you get what I’m saying. I love using fresh fruits and vegetables to bring out the essence of spring.
The best part of spring rolls is that they are so versatile. You can pretty much use any combination of fruits and vegetables you choose. My recipe calls for cucumber, carrots, mango, avocado, and sweet red pepper. They are a great healthy snack or meal. My daughter loves them in her school lunch. She makes them herself and she’s eight! So, yes! They are super easy to make as well. Let’s get started!
Fresh Spring Rolls with Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce
makes 10 rolls
1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
1 cucumber, julienned
1 mango, peeled and juiliened
I avocado, sliced and tossed in lime juice
2 sweet red pepper, julienned
1 handful of fresh cilantro, stems removed
1 lime, juiced
10 sheets of spring roll rice paper
Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 limes juiced
1 inch fresh ginger root, sliced
2 tbsp sugar
- Prepared rice paper one at a time following the directions on package. The brand I’m using said to submerge in warm water for a few seconds and then remove. Place on plate very carefully.
- Add a few leaves of cilantro in the middle. Then add a couple pieces each of cucumber, carrot, mango, sweet red pepper, and lime tossed avocado. Do not overstuff!
- Fold sides of rice paper over the the filling.
- Fold over bottom flap of rice paper
- Gently roll over to complete spring roll.
Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in small pot.
- Cook on low for 10 minutes
- Remove ginger slices and chill until ready to serve.